This minty, caffeinated treat was created for National Espresso Day. I don’t drink the stuff but I sure love it in desserts!
This espresso, mint and chocolate creation is fantartstic! Rich chocolate espresso flavors with naturally infused mint butter. No peppermint extract to be found. The trick is melting butter stovetop and adding fresh mint. Steep for at least 30 minutes and run through a sieve. Boom bam ? you’ve got infused butter
This is a perfect treat to have with coffee or tea. It’s rich and decadent so definitely start off with a small piece but, as Prue says on GBBO, it’s SO SO worth the calories! You’ll also find that there isn’t a great deal of added sugar either. I’m all about reduced-guilt recipes
Ingredients for the Espresso, Mint & Choco Tart
Infusing the butter:
- In a small skillet, add the butter and fresh mint leaves over medium low heat
- Melt the butter for 3-4 minutes until you can smell the mint
- Turn off the heat and steep the butter for 30-35 minutes
- Using a mesh sieve, drain butter into small bowl and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, 2 tbsp espresso, and salt
- Add infused butter and mix until all mixture moistened
- Pour mixture into 9″ fluted tart pan (preferably with removable bottom) and press down into bottom and along sides until evenly distributed
- Par bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and keep nearby for filling
- While crust baking, prepare the filling. You’ll want to keep oven at 350
- Using medium saucepan, heat chocolate, 1/4 cup espresso powder, and cream on medium-low heat. Stir frequently until chocolate melted. Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Stir in beaten eggs and immediately pour into crust
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (start checking at 20). Middle will have slight jiggle.
- Cool in tart pan for 45 minutes and then refrigerate for at least an hour before removing from tart shell and serving.
- Can top with sifted cocoa and fresh mint or any other desired toppings.
Please let me know if give this recipe a try! It’s one of my favorites
Don’t forget to subscribe for more fun recipes!