Let’s talk Equali-tea! This spin on a gin fizz was created during Women’s Equality Month (It’s in March, in case you didn’t know). I was very focused on the theme of equality and couldn’t help coming up with a pun-inspired drink.
Gin is a new addition to my arsenal. I didn’t like it until about a year or so ago, but now I love using it in cocktails. The botanical flavor goes so well with the subtle tea flavor and the kick of lavender. The lavender simple syrup is just enough to give you the calming flavors without tasting like straight-up soap.
What Makes a Gin Fizz Fizzy?
That is a good question! Old school cocktails included egg white. The egg white was added into the cocktail shaker with the base ingredients and shaken with the ice. It created a foam-like effect for the drink. Of course, modern bars have moved away from using the egg white in their drinks to accommodate egg-free and vegan lifestyles. Now, you can add your fizz with good ol’ club soda. I kicked it old school with this recipe and included the egg-white. Obvs it is OPTIONAL
How Does The Cocktail Come Together?
Earl Grey Lavender Simple Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lavender buds
- 3 black tea bags or a little shy of 1/4 cup loose tea leaves
- 2 oz gin
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white – room temp
- Splash of club soda
- Bring water, sugar, and lavender to boil over medium-high heat- once sugar dissolved, remove from heat and steep tea for 10 minutes. Makes enough syrup for several cocktails
- Combine gin, simple syrup, lemon juice, and egg white in cocktail shaker (or mason jar with lid if no shaker).
- Shake shake shake to get the egg frothy
- Add ice and shake some more! About 30 seconds
- Pour into long stemmed cocktail glass (I prefer martini glasses) and top with desired amount of club soda
- If you omit egg white, just increase club soda
- Garnish with dried lavender buds
Let me know if you give this drink a try! Perfect way to jazz up any event
Subscribe below for more exciting cocktail recipes and reduced-guilt eats!