Sometimes you just need the perfect, mushroomy comfort food! This reduced guilt mushroom and bone broth orzo will be your new go-to for lunches during the work week and/or side dish for the dinner table. Whole wheat orzo, green pepper, onion, portobello mushroom, cheese, and all pulled together with mushroom bone broth. Grab a fork and dig in!
*1-2 tbsp olive oil
1. 2 instant packs of #barebones mushroom
2. 2 cups water
3. 1 large green pepper – diced
4. 1 small yellow onion – diced
5. 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms – thinly sliced
6. 1 clove garlic – minced
7. 2 cups whole wheat orzo
8. 1/4 cup heavy cream
9. 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
10. 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
11. 2 tbsp thyme
12. Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry produce. Thinly slice portobello mushrooms, mince garlic, peel and dice onion, and deseed and dice green pepper.
- In a large, sturdy pot, heat 1-2 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add green pepper, onion, and sliced mushroom to pot. Sprinkle pepper and a pinch of kosher salt and cook for 5-7 minutes until softened. Combine 2 cups of water with 2 instant packs of mushroom broth in a small bowl. Add to pot with vegetables and add garlic and 2 cups whole wheat orzo. Let contents of the pot come to a heavy simmer and reduce heat to medium low. Cover pot with lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and reduce heat to low. Stir in cream, thyme, and grated parmesan. Finish off by stirring in shredded parmesan. Turn off heat and serve immediately!
1. Can use regular orzo instead of whole wheat if preferred with same instructions
2. Any broth can be subbed in – you could use veggie broth for a vegetarian option
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: One Pot Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: One Pot Recipe, One Pot Meal, Bone Broth, Orzo, Pasta Recipe, Side Dish, Lunch Recipe, Clean Eating