There isn’t a better trio than chocolate, peanut (or almond) butter, and banana. Seriously the perfect trifecta of flavor! Do you agree? These snack bars will become your new go-to when you spot a couple of brown bananas on your counter.
Everyone could use a snack in their arsenal that is low sugar and perfect, filling fuel for the entire family. Look no further for your new favorite breakfast bite or afternoon snack.
Is this a recipe for snack bars or is it for another dessert?
By jove, it’s both! It is categorized under “Reduced-Guilt Treats” because it’s both. The banana, nut butter, and oats plus the delicious dark chocolate make for a hearty snack or a low sugar dessert. Further, I’ve even eaten the bars with my yogurt in the morning. So versatile! As an added bonus, the recipe is WW friendly.
Ready for the recipe?
- 9 inch square pan
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Rubber spatula
- 2 medium to large bananas – nice and ripe
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 3/4 cups oats (not instant oats)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter or nut butter of your choice (okay to use up to 3/4 cup as desired)
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 to 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line square pan with parchment paper
- Peel bananas. Discard peels and mash bananas in large mixing bowl with wooden spoon
- Add all other ingredients (reserving 1/4 cup oats and 1/4 cup chocolate chips) and mix with spoon until well combined and smooth
- Pour mixture into line pan and spread evenly with rubber spatula to corners
- Top with reserved oats and chocolate chips
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set
- Let cool at room temperature for about an hour and then pop in fridge to solidify before serving
- Can be stored in fridge for up to 5 days