This twist on shrimp and grits is full of flavor. Nutritious bone broth, stone ground grits, shrimp, and veggies bring this dairy and gluten free dish together.
- 3 cups organic chicken bone broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup stone ground white grits
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free Parmesan alternative – shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper – seeded and diced
- 4 green onions – separate white and green
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 3/4 cup sun-dried tomato halves (no oil) – roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp plant based butter
- Optional – red pepper flakes to taste
Bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in grits and salt, return to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 20-25 minutes, stirring often, until grits have absorbed the broth and look creamy. Stir in cheese and keep warm until ready to serve.
Add tbsp of olive oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir around until fragrant. Add whites of onion and diced poblano and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, and 2 tbsp butter and cook until shrimp is opaque. If want to bring up a notch, sprinkle red pepper flakes to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Dish grits into a bowl and top with shrimp and veggie mixture. Garnish with greens of the onion and enjoy!
Can swap out dairy free cheese and butter for regular, if preferred
Frozen shrimp is fine, just thaw and rinse prior to use
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Reduced-Guilt Eats
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: Shrimp and Grits, dairy free, gluten free, stovetop recipe, brunch, southern cuisine