Your New Summer Rum Cocktail!
Happy National Watermelon Day! Are you celebrating with some fresh watermelon slices or, like me, are you adding it to a cocktail? Once you add watermelon with rum, there’s no turning back!
I’ve been on a quest for the perfect summer cocktail. It’s been a scorcher here in South Carolina (I could swim in the humidity), so I need to stay hydrated with water AND with fun cocktails. Rum is not always my go-to when it comes to alcoholic drinks, but it’s absolutely perfect in this fizzy thirst quencher. Please note that you can omit the rum for a delicious mocktail, too.
Let This Cocktail Cure Your Melon-choly
I can’t resist a good pun! I also can’t resist an easy recipe. This drink came together in less than 10 minutes. All that you need is pureed watermelon (using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender – whatever you have on hand), lemonade with no sugar added, and lime soda water. Add the rum – or not – and enjoy. I won’t ramble on and on – without further ado…
- Blender, Immersion blender and mixing bowl, or food processor
- Measuring cups
- Cocktail glasses – chilled in freezer
- Metal spoon
- Cutting board
- 2 cups diced watermelon – pureed
- 3 oz silver/white rum
- 1 cup lemonade – no sugar added
- 12 oz lime soda water (I use Bubly)
- 1 lime – halved and 1/2 sliced
- Puree watermelon either in blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender in small mixing bowl – get as smooth as possible but a few small bits are okay
- Divide lemonade between 2 cocktail glasses
- Divide rum between 2 cocktail glasses and stir rum and lemonade
- Divide puree between 2 cocktail glasses
- Evenly pour lime soda water on top of lemonade/watermelon mixture
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lime into cocktails and then garnish with lime slices