Orange you glad that chocolate and weekends exist?
As some of you know, I’m in Planning and Development for a municipality, and I can definitely say that development has stayed pretty steady throughout the pandemic. I’m worn out!! I have my 9-5 and then spend so much of my free time working on my photography and recipe development. It’s basically two jobs – and I hope the second one starts paying off soon! ?? This cake, though, always brings me back to life
Recipe development has become one of my major focuses lately. It’s so satisfying to brainstorm recipes and tweak measurements until perfect (and of course to say “this is my recipe”). The majority of my content on this blog and on Pinterest revolves around original recipes. My goal for the future is to share only original content. I’ll get there!
National Chocolate Cake Day was January 27th. Did you celebrate this year? The day gave me motivation to come up with this sweet potato chocolate cake. Take note that this recipe is vegan AND gluten-free. I knew that sweet potato brownies were delicious so I figured sweet potato chocolate cake would be just as good…if not better!
The recipe came together fairly quickly but my first go at it was just a bit bland. That’s how the orange joined the party!! Let me be clear, adding sweet potato in no way makes a cake taste like vegetables – even if it makes the cake secretly healthy! The potato adds moisture and natural sweetness so that the recipe doesn’t require added, refined sugar. The orange adds a nice tartness, especially if you add the zest on top.
Okay! Let’s get down to business (to defeat the Huns – couldn’t resist)
Sweet Potato and Orange Chocolate Cake
25 minute prep/40-45 minute bake
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a standard bread tin with parchment paper
- Poke holes in sweet potato with fork and pop it in microwave for 5 minutes and then in 2 minute increments until cooked through and soft. Let sit for 10 minutes to cool
- Discard skin and add potato to food processor with almond milk. Combine until smooth. If no food processor, mix in bowl with wooden spoon until combined/smooth.
- Add coconut oil to a large, microwave safe mixing bowl and microwave in 30 second increments until melted.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the melted oil along with the maple syrup, orange juice, 1/2 of the zest, salt and almond flour. Combine
- Sift in the gluten free flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Combine until just blended
- Fold in half of the chocolate chips. Transfer to bread tin.
- Gently shake to remove air bubbles and add remaining chocolate chips to top of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until toothpick comes out with moist crumbs but no batter
- Let cool completely before removing from tin
- Top with remaining zest to serve and feel free to drizzle extra melted chocolate on top!
Keeps in air-tight container for up to 3 days
Do you plan to try this recipe?? Let me know in the comments below