Did you know that July 18th is National Ice Cream Day? I celebrated by making several new ice cream recipes. However, not everyone can eat true ice cream. Dairy free options are becoming more readily available, and nice cream is truly my favorite ice cream alternative.
Nice cream is made with minimal ingredients. My version only has three (3!) ingredients – bananas, berries, and dark chocolate chips. Of course, there’s always the add-ons, but those are optional and completely modifiable.
Tell me, what’s your favorite ice cream or nice cream flavor?
I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Nice Cream
Nice cream is most often made with frozen bananas. It gets it name because it is such a reduced guilt version of the classic. Also, nice cream is incredibly quick AND easy to make. No churn, no freezing overnight…it all comes together in a food processor. Some recipes have added liquid, such as almond milk, to add to the creaminess – my version doesn’t have the added liquid and just calls for a bit more pulsing in the processor to get the perfect texture.
Start with Frozen Bananas
I have peeled, frozen bananas in my freezer at ALL TIMES. Doesn’t hurt to have bags of frozen berries, mango, and other fruit in there as well. With a stocked freezer and a food processor, it’s amazing how fast you can have this frozen treat ready for you and your family/friends (no judgment if eating straight out of the processor!)
Ice Ice Baby
- Food processor (at least an 8 cup capacity)
- Cutting board
- Airtight container
- 2 frozen medium to large bananas (peeled)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Optional: Dairy-Free Reddi-Whip and other fresh berries for topping
- Dice frozen banana into 1 inch chunks
- Add frozen banana, frozen blueberries, and chocolate chips to food processor
- Pulse repeatedly until reach desired texture. Use spatula to smooth down sides and ensure blade not getting blocked in between pulses. It may take 5-10 minutes of pulsing to get smooth, scoopable texture
- Scoop and serve immediately and top with desired topping
- Transfer to airtight container and store in freezer up to a month